Application Deadline: January 1
Within 7 days of submitting your Common Application, you will receive an Application Acknowledgement email from NYU Admissions. This confirmation will include your University NetID and instructions for accessing NYUHome.
To schedule an audition:
- Once in NYUHome, click on the Acrademics tab
- Long into our student information system, NYUAlbert
- Within NYUAlbert, you will find your Application Checklist
- Book an audition by following the link within the Application Checklist
- When you've landed at our online Audition Scheduler, you will set up an account and make an appointment
An audition is required for the Department of Dance. You will be taking a condensed class in ballet technique (ballet barre and adagio) and contemporary combinations, lasting approximately 1-1/2 hours. If you pass this ﬁrst part of the audition, you will be asked to perform a short (no longer than 3 minutes) solo dance that you have learned or choreographed—something you enjoy doing. If you plan to bring music for your dance, it must be recorded on CD. We will provide a CD player. A personal interview will follow the solo performance.
As we need to be able to see your body in order to realistically evaluate your technical level and physical potential, we ask that you wear clothing that does not obscure body lines. Everyone should bring regular ballet shoes. Bring pointe shoes only if you plan to do a solo en pointe.
Auditions will be held in New York City, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Choose your preferred site, date, and time from the Dance Audition Schedule page and mark your application accordingly. Audition slots are limited. We strongly recommend you submit your application no later than December 15th if you intend on auditioning in Chicago or Los Angeles.
To view the schedule click the link on the right side of this page.
Be sure to bring the following items for your audition:
- Proper clothing and an optional CD (as mentioned above).
- A full-length body photograph in dancewear, no speciﬁc pose required, preferably 8" x 10".
- A detailed résumé listing your prior dance experience, including types of training, names of teachers and schools, years studied, and the numbers of lessons per week (attached to the back of your photograph or on a separate sheet).
Because you will be taking the above to the audition, you should not send a résumé to the Ofﬁce of Undergraduate Admissions or mail it with your application.
DVD Audition Policy
With the exception of international students and M.F.A. applicants who are on tour professionally, DVD auditions will not be accepted. Such applicants must obtain permission from the department in order to submit a videotape audition. Please contact Daria Kendus at email@example.com or 212.998.1984.